Friday, June 6, 2008

Friday, June 6...






It's Friday already and Christina has reprimanded me for not getting a posting entered. Times have changed. Now she dishes it out to me instead of me dishing it out to her. It doesn't seem as though it was that long ago that "she" was the kid around the house. Anyway, the pups are doing really well. They are eating all the time and are very content after mom has finished feeding. They are all walking now and in some cases climbing over the rail. The first to escape was the white collared one. I was working in my office on Monday and heard this high pitched yelping that sounded as though there was trouble in the pen. I went down and counted the pups and came up one short. I looked around the room and found her up against the whelping box trying to figure out how she got to where she was and I suppose, how to get back in with her siblings. The second to escape was bear (What a surprise!). Midge came into the room to find him cruising the area in front of the nursery room door. It is hard to believe in just 17 +/- days that these guys are as active as they are.

Their eyes began opening around the first of the week. They really can't see very well yet, and as a result of that, I catch them bumping into things as they try to move around. They are all moving about quite hastely at this point. When Addie climbs into the box with them, they waste no time running over to her for their next meal. They are ravenous feeders.

Bear continues to be the most aggressive at this point and is still the largest of the pups. The Yellow/red female is not far behind him (1/8#). They are all growing proportionate to their birth weights for the most part. I am not seeing a runt yet. There are 2 that are smaller in size but not in activity. They are all quite aggressive in their activities with each other and there do not seem to be any stand alones. The next couple of weeks will probably bring out some personality traits that haven't been exhibited yet.

We will probably start the weening process next weekend as they will be about 3 1/2 weeks old. Bonnie was over again and said that Addie's weight looks great and she appears very healthy. I had no doubt of her (Addie's) health by the way she continues to want to retrieve and play. She drops everything, including the pups, if she hears the door by the grill open. She knows that that usually means some playtime while I am grilling. She is relentless.

I'll try to update the blog a little more frequently. Enjoy the photos.

Den

1 comment:

Christina said...

They are SOOOO big!!!!